Sunday, March 29, 2015

Creating a Minimalist Sanctuary

My minimalist sanctuary
On the journey to declutter my life, I find that it is easy to get discouraged. After decluttering and decluttering, I only see the need for more decluttering. I haven’t taken much time to really SEE what I have accomplished, to celebrate and appreciate the progress. And there is progress!

According to Courtney Carver, on Be More with Less, “The key to creating a simple life, and to finding simplicity everywhere, is to start by finding it somewhere.” Courtney lists 5 ways to find simplicity somewhere:
  1. Create a minimalist sanctuary,
  2. Go outside,
  3. Be grateful,
  4. Edit your work and your life, and
  5. Just breathe

Of these five ways of finding simplicity, I realized that I have already created a minimalist sanctuary (in my bedroom), and that I can incorporate the other four ways into my life fairly easily.

Special things in my minimalist sanctuary:
a wall-hanging I wove, a meaningful picture, a ceramic piece
made by my daughter, and a favorite bedside clock

My minimalist sanctuary—the one area of my home that I simplified just for me—is what I see first thing in the morning. If I let it, this space can inspire me to simplify more of my home and life. It is a constant reminder of the peace and calm I am seeking and creating.

 For the next few weeks, we will be travelling, so my decluttering project will focus on computer stuff. Since I will take my laptop with me, the plan is to clean off my hard drive and back up important files. I also plan to spend more time outside (see #2 above), so I can focus on the simplicity of nature and gratitude (and "just breathing"). 

That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains. ~ Steve Jobs

2 comments:

  1. Your sanctuary looks very peaceful. I so agree about being outside -- thus my daily walk, up the hill where there are no houses, just trees and views and forest animals. Its quiet and I'm always thankful when walking - which also brings peace. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Now you've got more space to breathe in your room! (I've always liked that wall hanging ;)

    ReplyDelete