Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sell it, or give it away?


For Sale!   /   Free to a good home!


When decluttering, you’re faced with a choice of what to do with your excess stuff: do you sell it, or give it away? I can see good reasons for doing both.

Selling:
  • You get to feel that what you've collected over the years is worth something, that you haven’t just wasted your time and money. (I have seen the sale of friends’ needlework stashes bring in some serious money)
  • You get to recover some of what you spent buying it
  • You might make enough money for some particular purpose (say, to help with a move)
  • You get to feel entrepreneurial, smart
  • You NEED the money (survival)
Giving:
  • You get to feel generous (helping your community)
  • You get to have some control of where your stuff goes (find a good home)
  • You get the stuff out of your house fairly quickly (especially if you’re donating to thrift stores)
Other than necessity, the decision of whether to sell or give your things away is a matter of choice.

I choose to give my stuff away, because, to me, selling is a separate issue from decluttering. It adds a layer of complexity and work that would completely derail my process. My goal here is to remove from my life anything that is no longer serving my needs. And I hope that what I give away will be useful for someone else. 

My choice to give my things away isn't quite bullet proof, though. As I said in my last post, if there’s a specific place or group where I want to give these things, a delay could happen (meeting cancelled due to weather) and I could be stuck with boxes of stuff for far too long. I still haven’t taken the boxes in my car to the intended meetings. It’s hanging over my head. I need to let go of my preconceived notion of where the stuff should go, and just move it on out.

As I said, my goal here is to remove from my life anything that is no longer serving my needs, and to send it out into the world with love, to benefit my community.

Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

1 comment:

  1. If you're really stuck you might ask a friend/relative to put the boxes in the back of their vehicle and drop them off at a thrift store or wherever. They won't have the commitment to the 'stuff' (and will want to free the trunk of their car quickly) and you will have moved them along pain free *smile*.

    ReplyDelete